Minneapolis City Hall
Minneapolis City Hall is the green-roofed structure that at one time was not dwarfed by all the newer buildings. The three taller buildings are the Capella Tower (775 ft), US Bank Plaza (561 ft), and the Wells Fargo building (774 ft). Next to City Hall (341 ft) is the old Northwestern Bell Telephone building (416 ft).
In the fore ground is the tower of the former North Star Woolen company. It was part of an effort to develop a textile industry modeled on Lowell, Mass but because of distance and costs of shipping it never thrived. The mill was empty for 50 years but has since been develped into lofts and overlooks the Mississippi and St. Anthony falls.
Minneapolis City Hall and Hennepin County Courthouse (also known as the "Municipal Building"), designed by Long and Kees in 1888, is the main building used by the city government of Minneapolis, Minnesota as well as by Hennepin County, Minnesota. The building is jointly owned by the city and county divided right down the middle. The building is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. The design is based upon Henry Hobson Richardson's Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The building is built of Ortonville granite, with many stones greater than 20 tons in weight. The granite was originally only going to be used for the foundation of the building, with brick used for the upper portion. However, the public appreciated the appearance of the foundation so much that they lobbied for the entire building to be made of granite. (Wikipedia)