Tartu toomkirik (Tartu Dome Church)
The toomkirik (Dome Cathedral) in Tartu is one of the earliest and most spectacular examples of Gothic brick architecture in the Baltic. Construction of the cathedral started in the 13th century and lasted with intervals until the beginning of the 16th century. The cathedral was designed as a basilica, with a nave flanked by two aisles, and side chapels on either side. At the end of the 15th century, the construction of two high towers on the western face of the church was completed.
As a result of the iconoclasm of the Reformation area and due to the impact of the Livonian War, the dome crumbled away and eventually fell into ruins. When the University of Tartu was reopened in 1802, the choir of the church was rebuilt in 1804-1806 to accommodate the university library. After the library moved to its new location in 1981, the building was handed over to the University of Tartu History Museum.