Power House. Electrical generation plant.
Charleston Navy Yard (later renamed the Charleston Naval Shipyard and finally renamed Naval Base Charleston) was a U.S. Navy ship building and repair facility located along the west bank of the Cooper River, in North Charleston, South Carolina. It began operations in 1909 as a drydock, and continued as a navy facility until 1996 when it was leased to Detyens Shipyards, Inc. during down-sizing.
The yard first produced the destroyer USS Tillman (DD-135), then began to increase production in the 1930s. A total of 21 destroyers were assembled at Charleston Navy Yard.
Today, a 340-acre (1.4 km2) section of the former base is being revitalized as a sustainable, mixed-use urban hub for the city of North Charleston, SC. The new development is called The Navy Yard at Noisette. Ground broke in 2005.