Norristown State Hospital: Another view of Building 17
Another view of this abandoned building at this old psychiatric hospital. This building was probably built in the 1880's.
This hospital was established in 1879, and the grounds originally comprised 265 acres. It is still open and provides both in-patient and out-patient care to about 300 patients. In the early 1950's, before the availability of Thorazine and other anti-psychotic drugs, this hospital had over 4000 patients. This was apparently the first hospital in the country to recognize female physicians.
The beautiful grounds of this hospital include agricultural fields, barns, nature trails, a fishing pond, and houses for doctors.
Norristown, Pennsylvania. About 20 miles from Philadelphia in Montgomery County.