new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Massive ruins | by FrenchKheldar
Back to photostream

Massive ruins

One of the first Greek Revival structures built in the United States, Prince William's Parish Church, erected 1745-55, was once one of the most impressive churches in the Province. During the Revolution, the Patriots are believed to have stored gun powder in it. In 1779, when the British General Augustine Prevost invaded the Lowcountry, the church was burned by a detachment which according to tradition, was commanded by the flamboyant local Tory, Andrew Deveaux. Rebuilt in 1826, the church was again burned by Sherman's men in 1865.

336 views
1 fave
1 comment
Taken on April 27, 2008