South Carolina, Beaufort County- St. Helena Island, St. Helena Parish Chapel Of Ease (Ruins)
The ruins of the Chapel of Ease is a relatively intact example of mid-eighteenth century tabby construction. It was built ca. 1740 to serve planters in St. Helena Parish who lived at great distances from the parish church in Beaufort and could not regularly attend services there. By 1812, the church was designated a parish church. The church was virtually abandoned when the planters evacuated the island in 1861 after Union forces took control during the Civil War. Under Federal control, the church was used to educate and train former enslaved people. After the war black Methodist used the building as a sanctuary. The church was burned by a forest fire in 1886 and was never repaired. Much of its historic fabric, including the church walls and much of its plaster, remains. (Source: National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for St. Helena Parish Chapel Of Ease Ruins).
The St. Helena Parish Chapel Of Ease Ruins is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.