Christ Church, Shimla
The most prominent building on the Mall is the yellow Christ Church, reputed to be the second oldest church in northern India. The silhoutte of this can be seen on the skyline for miles around. It was designed by Colonel JT Boileau in 1844, but consecrated only after 1857. The clock was donated by Colonel Dumbleton in 1860, and the porch added in 1873.In Shimla’s 75 years of reigning as summer capital, a long line of officials and other notables of the Raj came to the church for their Sunday prayers. More than half a century has slipped by since the last Viceroy of India has prayed here, but nothing much seems to have changed in Christ Church. It still has those lovely stained glass windows for which it is so famed. The stained glass windows and 19th century organ are particularly impressive, and the fresco that surrounds the chapel window was designed by Lockwood Kipling, Rudyard Kipling's father.