Barudoni Building, Rocklin Ca
Located at 5250 Front Street, constructed in 1905 by Joe Barudoni, a Swiss immigrant meat dealer. The first floor was leased to a meat merchant.
Originally, on the right side of the building, there were stairs leading up to the second floor medical offices of Dr Bradford Woodbridge.
Post Barudoni owners operated a variety of businesses, and Rocklin old-timers remember a grain store, and antique shop.
According to Rocklin Historian Ruben Ruhkala, the owner in 1954 started to dismantle the building, moving granite blocks to Ophir for construction of a gas station and leaving gaps in the walls. Recent owners covered the gaps with wooden framing creating residential apartments upstairs and commercial space on the first floor.
The site of the gas station is now vacant but the granite blocks are nearby, strewn about the Ophir landscape.
The building to the right of the Barudoni Building by Dr. Woodbridge’s staircase is the Placer County Market. Farther to the right is a taller building which might be Porter’s Hall, a famous turn of the century dance house and watering hole. A 1914 fire destroyed the market, Porter’s Hall and other buildings north on Front Street, including the five saloons that operated in the 100 yards between the Barudoni Building and today’s Cross Roads Church.
The inset photo was taken from a 1908 postcard. www.rocklinhistory.org/history_series.asp