Splash of Lemon and White
Spring in Christchurch August 21, 2013, Christchurch New Zealand.
The Daffodil Woodland extends over two hectares on the south-west side of the Avon River in Hagley Park.
This woodland was once inhabited by a menagerie which included silk worms, deer, ferrets, kangaroos, angora and cashmere goats, opossums, monkeys, wallabies, llamas, a lemur, a tortoise, a Californian bear and an emu called Jack. This occurred between 1864 and 1930 when the Canterbury Horticultural and Acclimatisation Society leased 1.5 hectares of ground from the Domains Board. During this lease the public was able to view unusual birds, animals and fish bred for liberation throughout Canterbury or imported for public enjoyment. To many people, this popular area became known as The Zoo.
In 1933, Park Curator James McPherson, initiated the planting of daffodils among the established woodland and of oak and ash trees. In the first year, 16,000 bulbs were publically donated and planted. By 1943, 500,000 bulbs had been planted and these provide the basis of what is today one of the most popular springtime attractions in New Zealand.
More For Info: www.ccc.govt.nz/cityleisure/parkswalkways/christchurchbot...