Sankt Knuts kapell, Östra kyrkogården, Malmö
Architect: Sigurd Lewerentz (1885-1975),
Built in 1943
Benches in the chapel.
The Eastern Cemetery (Östra kyrkogården) is famous for its design and beauty far beyond Swedens borders. The Cemetery was created by the architect Sigurd Lewerentz, who from 1916 until his death in 1975 was engaged in the cemetery's various stages of development. After a contest Lewerentz was chosen to design the cemetery and the related buildings.
The Eastern Cemetery has a chapel and crematorium facility, which also bears the architect Sigurd Lewerentz signature. The plant was built during the war years in the early 1940s and was the inaugural completed on 23 October 1943. Here are three chapels - Saint Gertrude, St. Knut's and the Chapel of Hope, with pleasing works of art by artists including Sven Erixon, Otte Sköld and Robert Nilsson. The Crematorium is no longer in use.
More information about The Eastern Cemetary in Swedish.
More pictures of Sigurd Lewerentz’ work
Images of other architects' works