NYC - Battery: Battery Maritime Building and One New York Plaza
The Battery Maritime Building (BMB), at 10 South Street, was built in 1909 by Walker and Morris as a twin to the Whitehall Ferry Terminal, which burned down in 1991 and was replaced in 2005. It initially accomodating ferries traveling to 39th Street in Brooklyn. After the Brooklyn service shut down in 1938, it was handed off to a series of New York City agencies. From 2001 to 2006, the city's Economic Development Corporation (EDC) spent nearly $60 million to renovate the exterior and restore and replicate historical details. Today, the last surviving East River ferry building from an era when 17 ferry lines traveled between Manhattan and Brooklyn, offers landing for private ferries and ferry service to Governor's Island.
The 140,000 square foot, four-story, cast and wrought iron Beaux-arts structure features an exterior embellished with rosettes, rivets and glazed blue tiles. On the south side facing the river, three ferry slips (Slips 5, 6 and 7) sit under huge arches lined in pink stucco. The 55,000-square-foot former passenger waiting room on the second floor was once one of New York City's grand public spaces. The third and fourth floors, the later of which was added in 1957, feature 20,000 square-feet of office space each.
Hovering behind the Maritime Building is One New York Plaza. The southernmost of all Manhattan skyscrapers, it was built in 1969 by William Lescaze & Assocs. and Kahn & Jacobs. The South Street side features a lower projecting wing, over which the 50-storey, 631 foot tall main mass rises with its notched corners. The facade, designed by Nevio Maggiora, is of boxlike "beehive" pattern with the windows recessed within, made of aluminium-clad wall elements. A portion of the mid-facade on the wing roof level is of dark steel plating, apparently to accommodate HVAC equipment. The top of the building forms a cornice-like protrusion which houses an exclusive dining club.
The Battery Maritime Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967.