Pittsburgh: Skyline and Monongahela River from Mount Washington
The Smithfield Street Bridge, a lenticular truss bridge spanning 1,184 feet across the Monongahela River was buit by engineer Gustav Lindenthal and opened for traffic on March 19, 1883. It is the oldest steel bridge in the United States.
The Panhandle Bridge, officially the Monongahela River Bridge, carries two rail lines across the Monangahela River and was built in 1903. The Liberty Bridge, also known as the South Hills Bridge, spans 2,663 feet across the Monongahela and was opened in 1928. The cantilever bridge serves as the missing link between downtown and Liberty Tunnel and South Hills. The South Tenth Street Bridge, also known as the Tenth Street Bridge and the Philip Murray Bridge, is a suspension bridge spanning 1,275 feet across the Monongahela. It opened in 1933.
The U.S. Steel Tower, at 600 Grant Street, was built in 1970 to the design of Harrison, Abramovitz & Abbe. At 64 floors and a height of 841-feet, it is the tallest skyscraper in Pittsburgh. Originally built as the U.S. Steel Building, its name was changed to the USX Tower in 1988, before becoming the U.S. Steel Tower in 2002. The U. S. Steel Tower is noted for its triangular shape with indented corners and its massive exterior Cor-ten steel columns. The tower contains over 44,000 U.S. tons (40,000 metric tons) of structural steel. Although no longer the owner of the building, U.S. Steel is one of the largest tenants, occupying 500,000 square feet of office space. The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) occupies an additional 500,000 square feet.
The BNY Mellon Center, at 500 Grant Street, was built in 1983 to the design of Welton Becket and Associates. The 55-floor, 725-foot skyscraper was originally built to be the world headquarters of the Dravo Corporation (now Carmeuse Corporation). Since its inception, it housed the global headquarters of the Mellon Financial Corporation, which merged with the Bank of New York in 2007. Originally named One Mellon Center, it was rebranded in 2008. Prominent features of the building include its eight-sided design, mansard roof and rooftop heliport.
One Oxford Centre, at 301 Grant Street, was built in 1983 to the design of architectural firm, Hellmuth Obata & Kassabaum. Although it is mainly identified by its a 46-floor, 615-foot main tower, it is actually a complex of six "buildings," all of matching glass and steel design. The complex is named for Oxford Development Company, the building owner.