Buenos Aires - San Nicolás: La casa central del Banco de la Nación Argentina
La casa central del Banco de la Nación Argentina, at Avenida Rivadavia 317, was built between 1940 and 1955 by Argentine architect Alejandro Bustillo on a site previously occupied by Teatro Colón. The theater was acquired by the national government in 1888 for use as the bank's new headquarters, and remodeled in 1910. Bustillo presented his new design for a beaux-arts style French neoclassical revivalist building in 1910, which was then built in two stages--from 1940-1944 and from 1950-1955. The 9-floor, nearly 100,000 m² building is also home to Museo Histórico y Numismático, established in 1966, and Galería de Arte Alejandro Bustillo, an art gallery established in 1971.
Banco de la Nación Argentina (Bank of the Argentine Nation), a state-owned bank in Argentina, and the largest in the country's banking sector, was founded on October 18, 1891 by Presidente Carlos Pellegrini as a means to stabilze the nation's finances following the Baring Crisis, or Panic of 1890.