Dovecote at Te Werve
This is a 15th century dovecote, possibly from around the same time the original castle was built.
The upper part, where the holes for the pigeons are, was restored in 1590, according to a memorial plaque in the tower.
Back then, the right to keep pigeons was related to the amount of ground one owned. This turned pigeonkeeping into a right for the nobility. During the 16th and 17th centuries this right (in Dutch: het recht op duivenvlucht) was institutionalised as a right one received together with other rights belonging to a title or the ownership of a certain estate.
The pigeons were kept for consumption.