Wat Si Nong Waeng (พระมหาธาตุ วัดหนองแวง)
Located in this royal temple on Klang Mueang Road, is the Phra Mahathat which houses relics of the Lord Buddha and important Buddhist scriptures. Doors and windows of the 9 storeys of the stupa are beautifully carved, featuring the life and former reincarnations of the Lord Buddha, 16 classes of visible deities in the Brahma’s world, and Buddhist rites. Murals within the stupa feature history of the town. The top floor, on the 9th storey, houses relics of the Lord Buddha.
Wat Nong Wang was built under the direction of the first Governor of Khon Kaen in 1793, early in the city’s history. The temple sits on about 11 rai of land. Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon (พระมหาธาตุ วัดหนองแวง) is situated next to the original temple grounds. It was built to celebrate the 50th year of the king on the throne and the 200th anniversary of Khon Kaen. The structure is 80 meters tall.