new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Abandoned Chapel | by tj.blackwell
Back to photostream

Abandoned Chapel

This is the interior of a crumbling chapel which is part of the derelict complex formerly known as Eastmoor Reformatory in Adel, Leeds, which opened in 1857. Such institutions were once more commonly called 'borstals'; facilities where young offenders and children who were failing to integrate with society were sent to a secure environment to be taught practical skills so they could find a vocation or gainful employment. This chapel was built in 1887 and was also where the children would meet for daily assemblies. The bars at the side of the room are from when the building underwent a conversion to a gymnasium in its later years, before the school closed and its walls fell silent for the last time.

6,098 views
4 faves
3 comments
Taken on September 13, 2009