Victorian Swimming Pool
Eastmoor Reformatory's grimy old pool was built in 1887, roofed in 1896 and heated in 1899 (after, presumably, a decade of chilly swimming). One of the options for the boys when they left the institution was to be employed by fishing vessels at Grimsby on the east coast, so the pool was seen to potentially aid training for such a vocation in addition to the health and social benefits it brought to the young offenders.
There is an impressive area housing all the pipework (in addition to a formidably large water pump and tank) in an adjacent room, but it was unfortunately too dark to photograph in the absence of a camera tripod. It seems probable that the pool continued to be used until 1973 when the school, by that time renamed as 'East Moor Approved School/Secure Unit', shut down.