Prisoners Barracks, Built 1832-1835, Kingston, Norfolk Island
Copyright - All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images
More Norfolk Island Galleries HERE
A Hospital built in on this site in 1790 during the 1st Settlement was demolished in 1828 and the construction of a Prisoners barracks began in 1832 being finally completed in 1835. The Prisoners Barracks contained a central three storey building which slept 973 prisoners in rows of hammocks with separate wooden cubicles for individual prisoners. Chapels, overseers' rooms, watchhouses, guard posts, offices, stores, workshops and a courtroom were all surrounded by a 16 foot high stone wall.
After the end of the Second Settlement (1824-1853) the Prisoners' Barracks were largely abandoned and fell into ruin. The Prisoners Barracks were gradually demolished to provide building materials after the Pitcairn Islanders occupied Norfolk Island in 1856, including those required to construct St Barnabas Chapel.