Former Protestant Chapel (Built 1840) and Maritime Museum inside Former Prisoners Barracks, Built 1832-1835, Kingston, Norfolk Island
Copyright - All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images
More Norfolk Island Galleries HERE
"Built in 1840 as a chapel for the convicts in the Second Settlement during the time of the reformist Commandant, Alexander McConochie. After the close of the settlement it fell into disrepair by the 1870s. It was substantially re-built in the 1890’s and used once again as a Church. By the 1940’s it had again fallen into ruin and remained so until re-built as a Youth Centre in 1968. In 1985 modifications were made and it became a Maritime Museum for the Norfolk Island Museum and continued with this use till 2004 when it was then used as a theatre. The HMS Sirius Museum was opened in January 2013." REF
A Hospital built in on this site in 1790 during the 1st Settlement was demolished in 1828 and the construction of a Prisoners barracks began in 1832 being finally completed in 1835. The Prisoners Barracks contained a central three storey building which slept 973 prisoners in rows of hammocks with separate wooden cubicles for individual prisoners. Chapels, overseers' rooms, watchhouses, guard posts, offices, stores, workshops and a courtroom were all surrounded by a 16 foot high stone wall.
After the end of the Second Settlement (1824-1853) the Prisoners' Barracks were largely abandoned and fell into ruin. The Prisoners Barracks were gradually demolished to provide building materials after the Pitcairn Islanders occupied Norfolk Island in 1856, including those required to construct St Barnabas Chapel.