new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
No.10 Quality Row, Kingston, Norfolk Island | by Black Diamond Images
Back to photostream

No.10 Quality Row, Kingston, Norfolk Island

Copyright - All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images

 

More Norfolk Island Galleries HERE

 

"No. 10 Military Row (as it was then called) was built as the residence for the Foreman of the Works and was completed in 1844. Its first inhabitants, Thomas Seller and Robert Orford, were responsible for the building programmes in Kingston. As the house with the most original fabric it was beautifully restored to this period in the 1980s. From 1856 till 1890 Isaac Christian and Miriam Young lived in the house, until they handed it over to the Church of England for use by their chaplains. In 1926 Ernest Stephenson, Registrar and Collector of Customs lived there. The house then became the residence of the Official Secretary’s to the Administrator, and included local Charles Potts Buffet. From 1960 until 1984 it was home to Police Sergeants on the island and in 1985 visiting Systems Analyst Phil Munnings and his family lived there. It was then restored and opened as a house Museum in 1985." REF

1,562 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on June 21, 2013