new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Phillips County Courthouse | by Jeffrey Beall
Back to photostream

Phillips County Courthouse

221 Interocean Ave. Holyoke, Colorado

National Register 12/28/2007, 5PL.19

 

"Constructed by the Public Works Administration (PWA), the Phillips County Courthouse represents President Roosevelt’s New Deal legislative agenda to bring America out of the Great Depression. The courthouse is the only surviving PWA project in Phillips County and the most intact of all the county’s New Deal projects. The brick building with terra cotta trim is an example of the Moderne style applied to a government building constructed with PWA funds and designed by a prominent Denver architect, Eugene Groves. The building is associated with the governing of Phillips County, serving continuously as the courthouse since 1936"--Description from the History Colorado website.

733 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on February 10, 2013