Cornwall General Store (1880) – peeling posters
2635 VT 30, Seth Warner Highway, Cornwall, Vermont USA • Also known as the Lavalley Store. This building is a vernacular 1-1/2 story, gable front, clapboarded building with shed roofed addition and full-width porch with turned spindle valence in front. 2/2 windows are set in peaked frames. A small gabled barn with a sliding door and loft opening is connected to the main block and a long gabled shed with sliding doors along the length of the street elevation is connected to the barn. This shed building was moved around 1925 from its original location across the street where it served as the horse/carriage shed for the Congregational Church. The interior remains as it was the day the store closed in 1940. The building is a well preserved example of a general store and related residence that once served this small crossroads community.
☞ On August 6, 2005, the National Park Service added this building to the National Register of Historic Places (#86001035).
☞ This structure is listed on the Vermont State Register of Historic Places. Source: Data excerpts from "The Historic Architecture of Addison County: including a listing of the Vermont State Register of Historic Places"; Vermont Division of Historic Preservation; Curtis B. Johnson, Editor; © 1992.