new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Ireland - Cashel - The Rock - Cathedral | by Marcial Bernabeu
Back to photostream

Ireland - Cashel - The Rock - Cathedral

Irlanda - Cashel - The Rock - Catedral

 

ENGLISH:

 

The Rock of Cashel (Irish: Carraig Phádraig), also known as Cashel of the Kings and St. Patrick's Rock, is a historic site located at Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland.

 

According to local mythology, the Rock of Cashel originated in the Devil's Bit, a mountain 20 miles (30 km) north of Cashel when St. Patrick banished Satan from a cave, resulting in the Rock's landing in Cashel. Cashel is reputed to be the site of the conversion of the King of Munster by St. Patrick in the 5th century.

 

The Rock of Cashel was the traditional seat of the kings of Munster for several hundred years prior to the Norman invasion. In 1101, the King of Munster, Muirchertach Ua Briain, donated his fortress on the Rock to the Church. The picturesque complex has a character of its own and is one of the most remarkable collections of Celtic art and medieval architecture to be found anywhere in Europe. Few remnants of the early structures survive; the majority of buildings on the current site date from the 12th and 13th centuries.

 

The oldest and tallest of the buildings is the well preserved ROUND TOWER (28 metres, or 90 feet), dating from c.1100. Its entrance is 12 feet (3.7 m) from the ground, necessitated by a shallow foundation (about 3 feet) typical of round towers. The tower was built using the dry stone method.

 

CORMAC's CHAPEL, the chapel of King Cormac Mac Carthaigh, was begun in 1127 and consecrated in 1134. It is a sophisticated structure, with vaulted ceilings and wide arches, drawing on contemporary European architecture and infusing unique native elements. The Irish Abbot of Regensburg, Dirmicius of Regensburg, sent two of his carpenters to help in the work and the twin towers on either side of the junction of the nave and chancel are strongly suggestive of their Germanic influence, as this feature is otherwise unknown in Ireland. Other notable features of the building include interior and exterior arcading, a barrel-vaulted roof, a carved tympanum over both doorways, the magnificent north doorway and chancel arch. It contains one of the best-preserved Irish frescoes from this time period. The Chapel was constructed primarily of sandstone which has become waterlogged over the centuries, significantly damaging the interior frescos. Restoration and preservation required the chapel be completely enclosed in a rain-proof structure with interior dehumifiers to dry out the stone.

 

THE CATHEDRAL, built between 1235 and 1270, is an aisleless building of cruciform plan, having a central tower and terminating westwards in a massive residential castle. The Hall of the Vicars Choral was built in the 15th century. The vicars choral were laymen (sometimes minor canons) appointed to assist in chanting the cathedral services. At Cashel there were originally eight vicars choral with their own seal. This was later reduced to five honorary vicars choral who appointed singing-men as their deputies, a practice which continued until 1836. The restoration of the Hall was undertaken by the Office of Public Works as a project in connection with the European Architectural Heritage Year, 1975.

 

In 1647, during the Irish Confederate Wars, Cashel was sacked by English Parliamentarian troops under Murrough O'Brien, 1st Earl of Inchiquin. The Irish Confederate troops there were massacred, as were the Roman Catholic clergy, including Theobald Stapleton. Inchiquin's troops looted or destroyed many important religious artefacts.

 

In 1749 the main cathedral roof was removed by Arthur Price, the Anglican Archbishop of Cashel. Today, what remains of the Rock of Cashel has become a tourist attraction.

 

The entire plateau on which the buildings and graveyard lie is walled. In the grounds around the buildings an extensive graveyard includes a number of high crosses. Scully's Cross, one of the largest and most famous high crosses here, originally constructed in 1867 to commemorate the Scully family, was destroyed in 1976 when lightning struck a metal rod that ran the length of the cross. The remains of the top of the cross now lie at the base of the cross adjacent to the rock wall.

 

*******************************************************************************

 

ESPAÑOL:

 

La "Roca de Cashel", también conocido como Cashel of the Kings o St. Patrick's Rock, es un sitio histórico situado en Cashel, condado de Tipperary en Irlanda.

 

Rock of Cashel sirvió como tradicional asentamiento de los reyes de Munster desde el siglo V, cientos de años antes de la invasión normanda, aunque solamente perduran unas pocas estructuras de los primeros tiempos. La mayoría de los edificios actuales datan del siglo XII y XIII. En 1101 los reyes cedieron la fortaleza a la iglesia convirtiéndose en un importante centro eclesiástico hasta que fue parcialmente destruido por las tropas de Cromwell en 1647 quienes mataron a todos sus ocupantes. En el siglo XVIII la abadía fue finalmente abandonada.

 

Cashel es también conocido por ser el lugar en el que San Patricio, patrón de Irlanda, convirtió al rey de Munster en el siglo V.

 

Se encuentran los siguientes edificios:

 

- Torre: El edificio más antiguo y más alto es la torre circular de veintiocho metros que domina toda la llanura sirviendo de torre de observación y cuya entrada se encuentra a algo más de tres metros del suelo. La torre conservada en perfectas condiciones data de alrededor de 1100. La torre fue construida usando el método de piedra seco. Los restauradores modernos le han añadido mortero por razones de seguridad.

 

- Capilla Cormac: La capilla del rey Cormac consagrada en 1134 es el edificio más importante desde el punto de vista del visitante moderno. Comenzada en 1127, es una estructura muy sofisticada al contrario de la mayoría de las iglesias irlandesas del románico que eran simples y con escasos adornos aislados. El abad de Regensburg envió dos de sus carpinteros para la ayuda en el trabajo, para las torres gemelas de ambos lados. El cancel posee una fuerte influencia germánica pagana no apreciada en ninguna otra obra en Irlanda. Contiene también uno de los frescos irlandeses mejor conservados de este período.

 

- Catedral: Construida entre 1235 y 1270, es un edificio de planta cruciforme con torre central y terminando hacia el oeste en un palacio. En la nave norte se pueden encontrar tres tumbas del siglo XVI talladas con unos bajorrelieves de gran calidad artística.

 

- Palacio Arzobispal: Situado en el oeste de la catedral y unido a ella por pasadizos, el palacio data del siglo XV. Está construido a cuatro alturas destacando un salón central.

 

- Coro: Situado dentro de la catedral en él se encuentra la tumba de Miler Magrath, obispo católico y protestante.

 

- La sala del coro de los vicarios: Fue construida en el siglo XV. La coral de los vicarios era una coral laica designada para ayudar en los servicios de la catedral. En Cashel había originalmente ocho vicarios corales con su propio sello. Estos fueron reducido más adelante a cinco vicarios honorarios corales quienes designaron a hombres cantantes como sus diputados, una práctica que continuó hasta 1836. La restauración de la sala fue emprendida en el año 1975 siendo la parte de acceso al complejo en la actualidad. El techo ha sido reconstruido completamente siguiendo el trazado medieval.

 

- O'Scully Monument: Es un monolito decorado erigido en 1870.

 

- Cruz de San Patricio: En el complejo existen dos, una copia situada en su emplazamiento original y la auténtica del siglo XII situada en el museo situado en la cripta debajo del coro de los Vicarios. Se trata de un fragmento de una Cruz Latina en cuya cara este se puede ver a San Patricio que estuvo en el lugar en el año 450.

 

- Cementerio: Rodeando a la catedral se encuentra el cementerio del que destacan sus cruces celtas

 

7,802 views
72 faves
2 comments
Taken on August 16, 2015