Cittadella, Padova, (Veneto) Italy, from the air
The walled town was founded in 1220 as a fortified outpost in the territory of the city state of Padova (English: Padua). The distinctive wall and moat have evidently been restored; an area roughly 450 m in diameter is enclosed by a wall 1,461 m in circumference, 14-16 m tall and ~2 m thick (not counting earthworks) linking 32 towers. Each of the gatehouses, at the cardinal points, had a drawbridge.
The nearest gate is the southernmost, Porta Padova. To the north, marked by a tall tower to the left of a construction crane, is Porta Bassano. To the east is Porta Cittadella (Porta Treviso), with Porta Vicenza to the west. The Comune Di Cittadella (Town Hall) is just inside that gate.
The four main roads from the gates meet at the north-western corner of the main square, Piazza Pierobon; Duomo di Cittadella is at the north-eastern corner.
Outside the wall, to the right of the foreground are the athletics track and football pitch of Stadio Pier Cesare Tombolato (home of A.S. Cittadella) to the right of the indoor Palasport Cittadella. To the left is the blue-roofed Liceo Statale Tito Lucrezio Caro.
On the right of the background is the substantial cemetery (military and civilian), whilst Ospedale di Cittadella is in the middle of the image's right edge.