Subway Action Plan: New Subway Cars
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced on Oct. 3, 2017 that the first cars refurbished and reconfigured as part of Chairman Joseph Lhota’s Subway Action Plan are now in service on the E line. The R-160 cars are part of a 100-car pilot designed to increase the capacity and enhance the performance reliability of the subway car fleet. The cars feature:
• New braking and acceleration controllers for better reliability
• Space for 80-100 additional passengers via limited seat removal
• Improved stanchions and hand rails to enhance customer comfort and safety.
• Display LCD screens in all cars to provide customers with better information
• LED lighting to improve lighting and reduce energy consumption
• Interior and exterior wrapping of the cars for customers to identify Pilot Trains, as well as a car exterior indicators to identify the cars that have the modified seating arrangement