Captain Cook statue, Hyde Park, Sydney, 1879
Captain Cook statue, Hyde Park, Sydney, 1879, designed by Mr. Thomas Woolner. from original albumen print, State Library of New South Wales SPF/206 archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110313445
The unveiling took place on the 25 February, 1879, ten years after the laying of the foundation stone. It was a ticketed event and James Barnet, the Colonial Architect, was employed to design large stands to the east and west of the statue to accommodate upwards of 2000 people. The construction was done by Hudson Brothers, of Redfern, in eight days.