2020 - Chile - Punta Arenas - Banco Santander
This Banco Santander branch is across from Plaza de Armas.
The building at the corner of Plaza Muñoz Gamero and Roca³ was built in 1900 from a design by Antonio Beaulier.
Among other Punta Arenas buildings Beaulier designed are Palacio Braun-Menéndez and Residencia Blanchard, the white-fronted building at the left of this photo.
The bank opened in 1901 as a Punta Arenas branch of the Bank of Tarapacá and London.
1930 the building became Banco Central de Chile.
Subsequently it became offices of the General Treasury of the Republic and successively Banco de Santiago, Banco O’Higgins and currently, Banco Santander.
MORE BUILDING TRIVIA:
The British Club:
The British Association of Magallanes, or "British Club" as it was popularly known, was founded 3rd May 1899. The Club's premises were located in the upper floor of the former Bank of Tarapaca and London building.
Membership was restricted to British males, generally of the upper class. Its premises were furnished in the plush style of a gentleman's club, complete with bar, library and billiard tables. They were well patronised, both by local businessmen, and by ranch-owners and managers on their periodic visits into town.
As the British presence in Magallanes started to decline, the Club began to admit Chileans, provided they spoke English.
Later, Spanish-only speakers of British descent were admitted. By the early 1950s, the organization had lost its vitality, and membership continued to dwindle.
In 1981, the Bank of Chile closed the premises, confiscated the contents in lieu of arrears of rent and the Club ceased to exist.