The Manually Operated Draw Footbridge at Perkins Cove, Maine
From one of the Chamber of Commerce Websites:
"As a charming fishing village community set on the Ogunquit, Maine coast, Perkins Cove has much to offer visitors who want a relaxing vacation in completely different setting. A unique historical aspect to this area is that it was the original artist settlement for post-impressionists painters; in fact Betty Davis once lived nearby. It is an area rich in history, museums, antiques, and art galleries.
The Perkins Cove area has a lot of activities to capture the interest of many visitors to this area, such as:
1. A beautiful sandy beach stretching for three miles is rated as one of the best beaches in the northeast.
2. For visitors who love being on the ocean, there are many captains who offer whale watching cruises, lobstering, and even deep sea fishing for the fishing enthusiast.
3. Many travelers to this area collect antiques, and there is an abundance of dealers with unique artifacts for these collectors.
4. The museums in the area, such as the Museum of American Art contain an excellent collection of American paintings and sculptures.
5. An abundance of shopping and great restaurants, along with their famous wooden draw bridge, makes for an excellent afternoon of fun.
6. The nearby Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge contains a wonderful hiking trail for those loving the outdoor activities, along with a great treat – an exceptional salt marsh ecosystem."