NYC: Financial District - New York Stock Exchange after 9-11
The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) building, located at 11 Wall Street, was built in 1903 to the Classical Revival design of George B. Post. The ten story main façade features a allegorical marble sculpture in the pediment, above six tall Corinthian capitals, called “Integrity Protecting the Works of Man," designed by John Quincy Adams Ward and executed by Paul Wayland Bartlett.
The New York Stock Exchange itself traces its history back to 1792 and New York Stock & Exchange Board, which was started with the Buttonwood Agreement—which was signed by 24 stockbrokers outside of 68 Wall Street. The agreement set floor commission rates and bound the signers to each other in security sales, eliminating the auctioneers. The organization drafted a formal constitution in 1817 and in 1863 shortened its name to the New York Stock Exchange before moving into a John Kellum signed building at 12 Broad Street in 1865, before settling into its current location at the turn of the century.
The New York Stock Exchange was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1985.
National Register #78001877 (1978)