new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Colorado - Morrison: The Fort - Roast Marrow Bones | by wallyg
Back to photostream

Colorado - Morrison: The Fort - Roast Marrow Bones

Known as "Prairie Butter" to the early pioneers, roast bison marrow bones were Julia Child's favorite delicacy at The Fort.

 

The Fort, located at 19192 Highway 8 in Morrison, was opened in 1963 by Samuel and Elizabeth Arnold. The Arnolds hired William Lumpkins, the top architect in adobe construction from Santa Fe, to turn the red rock property they bought in 1961 into an adobe castle inspired by Bent's Fort. The restaurant has remained in the family, serving Early West specialties ever since.

 

Bent's Old Fort, located in Otero County, Colorado, was built in 1833 by William and Charles Bent to trade with Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Plains Indians and trappers for buffalo robes. For much of its 16-year history, the fort was the only major permanent settlement on the Santa Fe Trail between Missouri and the Mexican settlements. It was destroyed under mysterious circumstances in 1849.

 

National Register #06000585 (2006)

1,688 views
0 faves
1 comment
Taken on August 19, 2010