new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
MADRID / Parque del Retiro (10/10/2012) | by Saúl Tuñon Loureda
Back to photostream

MADRID / Parque del Retiro (10/10/2012)

El Parque del Retiro (no confundir con los Jardines del Buen Retiro), popularmente conocido como El Retiro, es un parque de 118 hectáreas (1,18 km²) situado en Madrid. Es uno de los lugares más significativos de la capital española.

 

Los jardines tienen su origen entre los años 1630 y 1640, cuando el Conde-Duque de Olivares (Gaspar de Guzmán y Pimentel), valido de Felipe IV (1621–1665), le regaló al Rey unos terrenos que le habían sido cedidos por el duque de Fernán Núñez para el recreo de la Corte en torno al Monasterio de los Jerónimos de Madrid. Así, con la reforma del Cuarto Real que había junto al monasterio, se inició la construcción del Palacio del Buen Retiro. Contaba entonces con unas 145 hectáreas. Aunque esta segunda residencia real iba a estar en lo que en aquellos tiempos eran las afueras de la villa de Madrid, no estaba excesivamente lejos del Real Alcázar y resultó ser un lugar muy agradable, por estar en una zona muy boscosa y fresca.

 

Bajo la dirección de los arquitectos Giovanni Battista Crescenzi y Alonso Carbonell se construyeron diversos edificios, entre ellos el Teatro del Buen Retiro, que acogió representaciones de los dramaturgos españoles del Siglo de Oro, entre ellos Calderón de la Barca y Lope de Vega. Perduran aún el Casón del Buen Retiro, antiguo Salón de Baile con frescos de Lucas Jordán, y el llamado Salón de Reinos, un ala del Palacio del Buen Retiro decorado antaño con pinturas de Velázquez y Zurbarán, entre otros; y los jardines de la posesión real.

 

Éstos se formaron al mismo tiempo que el palacio, trabajando en ellos, entre otros, Cosme Lotti, escenógrafo del Gran Duque de Toscana, y edificándose una leonera para la exhibición de animales salvajes y una pajarera de aves exóticas. El Estanque grande, escenario de naumaquias y espectáculos acuáticos, el Estanque ochavado o de las campanillas y la Ría chica pertenecen a este período inicial.

 

A lo largo de la historia, el conjunto sufrió modificaciones, no siempre planificadas, que cambiaron la fisonomía del jardín, como el Parterre, diseñado durante el reinado de Felipe V (1700–1746), la Real Fábrica de Porcelana del Buen Retiro en tiempos de Carlos III (1759–1788) o el Observatorio Astronómico, obra de Juan de Villanueva, reinando Carlos IV (1788–1808). El rey Carlos III fue el primero en permitir el acceso de los ciudadanos al recinto, siempre que cumpliesen con la condición de ir bien aseados y vestidos.

 

Durante la invasión francesa, en 1808, los jardines quedaron parcialmente destruidos al ser utilizados como fortificación por las tropas de Napoleón. El palacio fue casi totalmente destruido.

 

Tras la contienda, Fernando VII (1814–1833) inició su reconstrucción y abrió una parte del jardín al pueblo, como ya hiciera Carlos III. El monarca se reservó una zona, entre las calles de O'Donnell y Menéndez Pelayo, donde construyó una serie de edificios de recreo, siguiendo la moda paisajística de la época, que aún se conservan, como la Casita del Pescador, la Casa del Contrabandista y la Montaña artificial.

 

Reinando Isabel II (1833–1868) se abrió la calle de Granada, que más tarde se llamaría de Alfonso XII, vendiéndose al estado los terrenos comprendidos entre ésta y el Paseo del Prado que fueron urbanizados por particulares.

 

Tras la revolución de 1868, (la Gloriosa), los jardines pasan a ser propiedad municipal y sus puertas se abrieron a todos los ciudadanos, comenzando una época en la cual, la Ría grande y el Estanque de san Antonio de los Portugueses se transformaron en Paseo de Coches. Se colocaron las fuentes de los Galápagos y de la Alcachofa, erigiéndose también la fuente del Ángel Caído en lo que fueron terrenos de la Fábrica de Porcelanas, obra de Ricardo Bellver. En el Campo Grande se edificaron el Palacio de Cristal y el Palacio de Velázquez, obra de Ricardo Velázquez Bosco. En esta época, concretamente a finales del siglo XIX, transcurre la novela que Pío Baroja tituló Los Jardines del Buen Retiro, en la que se narra la vida de la capital en torno a este enclave.

 

Las últimas obras de ajardinamiento fueron las ejecutadas por el jardinero mayor Cecilio Rodríguez, que diseñó la rosaleda y los jardines que llevan su nombre.

 

El maestro Manuel Lillo compuso el pasodoble «Quiosco del Retiro» dedicado al lugar de conciertos matutinos en el que la Banda Sinfónica Municipal de Madrid actúa durante el verano.

 

El alcalde Enrique Tierno Galván designó a Antonio Mingote como Alcalde Honorario del Parque de El Retiro

 

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardines_del_Retiro_de_Madrid

 

The Buen Retiro Park (Jardines del Buen Retiro or Parque del Buen Retiro, literally "Gardens" or "Park of the Pleasant Retreat," or simply El Retiro) is the one of the largest parks of the city of Madrid, Spain. The park belonged to the Spanish Monarchy until the late 19th century, when it became a public park.

 

Location

 

The Buen Retiro Park is a large and popular 1.4 km2 (350 acres) park at the edge of the city center, very close to the Puerta de Alcalá and not far from the Prado Museum. A magnificent park, filled with beautiful sculpture and monuments, galleries, a peaceful lake and host to a variety of events, it is one of Madrid's premier attractions. The park is entirely surrounded by the present-day city.

 

History of the park and palace

 

In 1505, at the time of Isabella I (r. 1474–1504) the Jeronimos monastery was moved from an unsuitable location elsewhere to the present site of San Jeronimo el Real Church, and a new monastery built in Isabelline Gothic style. The royal family had a retreat built as part of the church.

 

King Philip II (r. 1556–1598) moved the Spanish court to Madrid in 1561. Philip had the Retiro enlarged by his architect Juan Bautista de Toledo, and formal avenues of trees were laid out.

 

The gardens were extended in the 1620s, when Gaspar de Guzmán, Count-Duke of Olivares, Philip IV's powerful favourite, gave the king several tracts of land in the vicinity for the Court's recreational use. Olivares determined to build, in a place that the king liked, a royal house which should be superior to those villas that Roman nobles had been setting up in the hilly outskirts of Rome during the previous century. Although this second royal residence was to be built in what were then outlying areas of Madrid, it was actually not far from the existing Alcázar or fortress residence, and the location in a cool, wooded area proved to be ideal.

 

In the 1630s, under the supervision of architects Giovanni Battista Crescenzi and Alonso Carbonell, several building were erected in great haste, two of which are still standing: the "Casón del Buen Retiro" which served as a ballroom, and the building that housed the military museum, the Museo del Ejército, which includes the grand entrance hall, the "Salón de Reinos" (Hall of Kingdoms), its wall decorated with paintings by Velázquez and Zurbarán and frescoes by Luca Giordano.

 

The Count-Duke of Olivares commissioned the park in the 1630s, worked on by Cosimo Lotti, a garden designer who had worked under Bernardo Buontalenti on the layout of the Boboli Gardens for Cosimo I, Grand Duke of Tuscany. Water was a distinguishing trait of the garden from the outset: the great pond, Estanque del Retiro, which served as the setting for mock naval battles and other aquatic displays, the great canal, the narrow channel, the chamfered or bellflower pond, created —along with the chapels— the basic layout of the gardens. Buen Retiro was described as "The world art wonder of the time", probably the last great creation of the Renaissance in Spain. Buen Retiro became the center of Habsburg court life at a time when Spain was the foremost power in the world. During the reigns of Philip IV and Charles II several magnificent plays were performed in the park for the royal family and the court.

 

The gardens were neglected after the death of Philip IV in 1665, but have been restored and changed on many occasions, notably after being opened to the public in 1767 and becoming the property of the municipality in 1868.

 

Philip V (1700–1746) ordered the creation of a parterre, the only French-style garden in the complex. During the reign of Ferdinand VI, Buen Retiro was the setting for magnificent Italian operas. Charles III (1759–1788) saw to the beautification of its perimeter, replacing the old walls with elegant wrought-iron railings. Juan de Villanueva's Astronomical Observatory was built during the reign of Charles IV (1788–1808).

 

The Buen Retiro Palace was used until the era of Charles III. Most of the palace was destroyed during the Peninsular War (1807–1814) with the First French Empire.

 

The reign of Queen Isabella II saw profound changes in the "Retiro". During the queen's minority, the gardens enjoyed a particularly prosperous period, with the planting of shade and fruit trees, and previously unplanted areas like the "Campo Grande", were landscaped as well. The gardens eventually passed to public ownership in 1868, at the time of the overthrow of Queen Isabella. In 1883 it hosted the Exposición Nacional de Minería.

 

El Retiro gradually became the green heart of the city. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Monument to Alfonso XII of Spain was erected next to the pond, designed by architect José Grases Riera. Countless statues, fountains and commemorative monuments have filled the park and converted it into an open-air sculpture museum.

 

The nineteen-thirties and forties witnessed the creation of new gardens attributed to Chief Gardener Cecilio Rodriguez who designed and built the rose bed and the gardens that have been named to honor him.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buen_Retiro_Park

23,978 views
18 faves
59 comments
Taken on October 8, 2012